I tried to love Sprint.ly, I really did, but the biggest problem I had with it was the huge amount of space it uses displaying one item. During my trial period, I frequently created a Story, only to discover one similar to it in my Backlog, and no amount of filtering by tag, or other search criteria gave me the confidence that I was in control.
Thus, I decided to try Trello. This is a free Kanban-style web tool which I have been using for various projects ever since it launched, and it has a rather good iPhone companion application. You can create a board, fill it with lists and each list can have a number of cards:
For reference purposes, each Card in a Trello board has a number which is unique to that board. However, to get at that number you have to view the card’s details. This makes it difficult to easily reference a card in other systems. So, inspired by the Trello Scrum Chrome Extension (which adds storypoints to Trello boards), I wrote my own extension Trelloid, which prepends the card number into the title:
It works as follows:
- If a Board title has a “#” at the end, then the board will have card numbers prepended, otherwise it will be left alone. This allows you to show card numbers only when necessary.
- If a Card already has a number (e.g. #1052) at the beginning of its title, then it will be left alone. This allows titles that reference some external system to be unaffected.
It’s my intention to publish this on the Chrome Web Store, but in the meantime, you can get it here.